About this Work of Art ~
is a colorful and nostalgic work depicting the Dalzell Tugs docked
at Battery Park and Peir 1, with the old Fireboat House in the background, downtown New York City. This was the crew change location for these vessels. The original
watercolor was completed on location in 1964. The (3) Dalzell tugs
by RTC Shipbuilding
of Camden, NJ in 1957 and leased to New Haven Transport. They were
renamed to the Lacey in 1966 when their ownership changed to McAllister.
These were powerful 1800 horse power vessels used to transport
into and out of New York's harbors. Laszlo Tar loved painting marine
scenes and his New York marine scenes are truly classics. Enjoy
this fantastic work of art!
Special thanks to Mr. Dan Sullivan for helping us correctly identify the exact location of this work. Mr. Sullivan comes from a family of New York Harbor tugboat captains and as a child he often made trips aboard various tugboats of the Dalzell fleet, boarding the boats at this exact location, Pier 1. Right across the street is 17 Battery Place, one time office building that housed the many tugboat companies. The building in the background once housed the fire dept. who tied a fire boat up there. He came about this piece through his brother who has the picture in his home. Mr. Sullivan is retired from 40+ years as a tugboat captain and pilot in the harbor.
Available exclusively at www.TARART.com